Sunday, March 16, 2008

UNCLUTTERING--MIND AND MATTER




















My family room and front room won't need to be "spring-cleaned" this year.These pictures aren't the greatest, but you can see that we're on the downhill run in the family room and front room. We have empty spaces on our walls, furniture to buy (on a budget that's been ravaged by the other costs), and little touches to add. It is absolutely wonderful to walk through the whole house on carpeting. I'm still not brave enough to walk in my sewing room (which is hardwood) in my bare feet.

I was thinking about clutter this morning as I looked at my computer table desktop. It's amazing how quickly things get put here by me! It's all nice clutter, mind you--a big holder of CDs because I've learned how to burn CDs and Steve & Jeff gave me 100 onto which I'm happily burning audiobooks for our trip; my iPod and MP3 player; stuff from my sewing projects, etc. etc. because I've been listening to various quilt videos and podcasts while I "unsewed" a major mistake on DJs quilt! etc. etc. Added to that, I just listened to a podcast about how our colonial ancestors cluttered their homes with imported goods from their home countries until some enterprising Americans learned to "copy". I wasn't sure how they "copied" what they'd been taught in their own countries, but the idea this lady was putting forth was the fact that many of the antiques which are in our country are not really originals imported from France or England, but copies from American entrepreneurs. Whatever!

I've also been thinking about mind clutter. Since I've retired, I've found out that my thoughts are much more introspective and that isn't always a good thing! I bombard myself with lots of media, but, in the long run, I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to thinking. I think some things to death! After much introspection, I've come to the conclusion that I'm too old to change and I'll just have to learn to decide which thoughts are important enough to keep in mind and which are just clutter.

On a final note, here is a picture of Jennie's little family (Kjerstin told them all to fold their arms) and Ty's winter pasttime:









No comments: