Monday, March 31, 2008

ME AND MY SISTER JUST STROLLIN' DOWN THE AVENUE






I am a privileged character and I know it. This blog is going to be about only one aspect of my "privilegedness"--having a twin sister. When people ask what it feels like to have a twin sister, I never know what to reply--I've never not had one! We've always believed that there is a special reason that we needed each other on this Earth and the Lord kindly allowed us to be together. And, no, our husbands do not understand the reason we need this weekend together, but they are both good sports about it.


This weekend we had our annual sisters' weekend. And guess what we did? Talked! If I counted the hours of what we did, most of them would include talking. We talk to each other every day through e-mail and share almost every aspect and minute of our lives that way. Then when we get together we mull it all over again. We did attend the arts and craft show and the object of our interest, the quilt show. We also visited with a very old friend, Irma, whom we have known since junior high. What a kick! We three bounced our way down memory lane for several hours. Bless Irma, she has lived in Pasco all of her married life so she knows the skinny on all our old classmates and many teachers from those bygone days. She's also been the mover and shaker behind the countless class reunions we've had over the years.


In our motel room while we talked, we stitched. Julia on an original quilt which she designed and executed for her granson, TJ. I used a nice little floor hoop which I bought to stitch on a quilt, which I did not design, for my grandson DJ. We talked of our families, old friends, and a multitude of other things. We watched crime shows on TV because there wasn't anything else to watch and because we both like to watch them. The unique feature about the weekend was that not one person asked us if we were twins.


I want to tell one lesson learned this weekend. Embarrassing--but a lesson learned. When we ordered we both got caffeinated beverages. Irma said (paraphrasing), "You girls used to be so careful about the soft drinks you drank. Now I see what you've ordered. What's changed?" Thoroughly chagrined, I bumbled through an answer. But, thank you Irma, I'm thoroughly resolved to be caffeine free for the rest of my born days!



I didn't take a single picture this weekend, but the top picture was taken taken two years ago when I visited Julia and Tom in California. We're standing on the steps of an adobe built by our ancestors, the Dunlap family, near San Bernardino, California. The bottom one is Julia in front of the post office in Sisters, Oregon, when we went to their quilt show for our 65th birthday.












No comments: