Thursday, March 20, 2008

IS CHIVALRY DEAD?

This morning I read a cute blog that my niece Marie wrote about her boys taking out the garbage. She is a great blogger and writes about her adventures as a Navy wife. Ben is presently in training in California and she and three kids are in Guam--big question-who takes out the garbage--boys or girls? Here's the part I loved:

I looked out at my boys and told Harm, " when you start dating, you need to date boys like your Dad and brothers. Ones who are gentleman and take care of their women."She gave me that Harmony look and said, " I don't want to depend on boys. I don't want to be a princess." Now I always realized that she was independent but...I explained to her that she and I are helping to train the boys. That their future wives will appreciate that they take the garbage out, clean up after themselves, open doors and carry girly church bags. I believe that how they treat their Mom and their sister will directly impact how they treat their wives.

My DH (can you tell I'm a bona fide blogger?) was well trained by his mother. He has always been very polite and gentlemanly. A woman once told me that her husband felt that Garth shouldn't open my door for me right in front of the church because it made all other men feel embarrassed. He's taught his sons and I hope they remember! At his retirement party, a comment was made that the ladies in the office appreciated his gentlemanly acts. He's also taught Dylan. So Marie keep up the good work.

I was recently sorting through some pictures and found this motley crew. This was taken at Grandma Whitby's 80th birthday party in 2001















1 comment:

Your favorite sister said...

I am glad you enjoyed the post. I know it is a long road, but an important one!

I remember when that picture was taken. Ethan was only a couple of weeks old.