Sunday, July 6, 2008

Days 1 & 2

Our first day was our journey from home to the temple to Grangeville, Idaho. Unfortunately, I forgot to take the camera out of my backpack so I didn't get any pictures of that trip, but it was wonderful. We were especially impressed with the quaint little town of Dayton. In Grangeville, we were too late to meet up with my cousins, but we wandered through the streets. It was their annual Border Days and the rodeo was just a block from our motel. We could hear the announcer very well. They had posted many old, old pictures from the area and I found a few of relatives. We ate at a typical family restaurant which displayed a huge collection of toy fire trucks and a very chatty owner! Very nostalgic. We stayed at a quaint and local motel where we had a great night's sleep. Of course, I couldn't help thinking of my mother who loved Grangeville. We saw miles and miles of pinecovered mountainsides and I remembered how Mother laughed about the scrub pine which covered Utah's mountainsides.

We got up early and had a terrific trip across Idaho's Panhandle. Whew! I wish I could have taken a picture of the sign that said: Winding Road next 99 miles! Believe me they weren't exaggerating. Solid pine trees, beautiful, roaring rivers, old railroad trestles, and mountains. Who could ask for more?

I had to have a picture of Lolo Pass because we stopped there on our honeymoon. We have a picture of me shivering since it was April and snow covered. No snow today. The weather was beautiful 85 degrees even though rain threatened a couple of times. We stopped in Deer Lodge and toured the old prison and the car museum which we both enjoyed.





We're holed up for the night in Bozeman, Montana. We didn't want to go all the way to Billings. We're planning some sight seeing tomorrow at the Little Big Horn and Mt. Rushmore.
We're having a ball and enjoying each other. We had to do some serious remembering of the history of this area. Idaho does an especially good job with historical markers.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there can't wait to see you at the family reunion!
Pat