Sunday, June 29, 2008

MY BUCKET LIST


Tonight while I was sewing (I know! I know! Melba used to tease me that I was going to have to take out every stitch I put in on Sunday with my nose.), I watched The Bucket List with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. It was overly sentimental (I admit it, I shed a couple of tears), but it was fun and reflective.

On Saturday we're leaving on a trip which has been on our bucket list for a long time. When we were first married, we talked about going across country in our own truck with a sleeper. Now I never thought that would be fun since Garth felt we could both do some of the driving. Then I saw a couple of stories about quilters whose husbands are also long haul truckers and they quilt as they go. We also thought it would be fun to go across country on Harleys (Let me amend that. I never thought it would be fun, but I'd follow my husband anywhere.) We also had a plan at one time to visit every temple not realizing that there would be so many you couldn't visit them all.

So we're leaving in our air conditioned car during a time of exorbitantly high gas prices to visit historical sites important to our past as well as our religion. We're worrying about the kind of shoes to wear so our feet won't hurt. We're worrying about leaving our family and our cat. We're making sure we have all our medications as well as Tylenol and Aleve. We're worrying if our motel rooms will be air conditioned.

More importantly, during our sojourn, we'll be thinking about Lewis and Clark and their torturous journey west. We'll be thinking about our heritage. Our pioneer ancestors who traveled to Utah and Oregon and California and Texas. We'll remember their dedication and their reasons for leaving behind their homes and families to build our nation. We'll vist places where lives were lost and testimonies gained. And we'll be thinking about you as well and what each of you mean to us.

Somehow in all my sentimentality, I never thought of my ancestors crowded on ships like this! Did you? I think being a pioneer was a pretty rough deal!



No comments: