Friday, June 20, 2008

EAT CROW OR CUT BAIT


I was torn between two options for this blog. I've thought for a long time that I should write a blog about eating crow about a past statement in a blog. On the other hand, I also wanted to write about the positive power of getting rid of grudges and regrets. So I'm going to do a little bit of both.

Several blogs back I mentioned that a lady had written a book about not reading your e-mail until noon (or something like that!). I disagreed because I love reading my e-mail and assorted other computer stuff first thing when I get up. Now you have to realize that my husband sleeps until exactly six every morning. Before that I can't do any housework because it would wake him up and by some silent agreement reached years ago, I don't ever shower before he does. I also get up hours before he does so working on the computer upstairs is a natural. Now, though, with the addition of blogs to my morning computer routine, I am freely admitting that I need to get into the "busyness" of my day before I get on the computer. So consider the crow eaten.



For several weeks, I've been reading an interesting book called The Holy Secret. It's not unusual for me to read, but this is online at Deseret Book and is parceled in weekly Wednesday chapters. I could go buy the book, but the old magic of waiting for the new chapter each week is fun. This is a "Mormon" writer, but I think there is a message for everyone. The main character is a good member who is feeling that he's just not "good" enough. He hears a talk by an elderly man who seems to have the answer for how to have a happy life. In this week's chapter, he is burdened by his feelings about his father who is dying and wants to make peace with his son. But the character,Michael, is so embittered about the whole thing that he can't bring himself to forgive the father. I was profoundly moved by the portrayal of the story of the prodigal son given by Al, the elderly man.


I guess my point is that all of us harbor contention in our lives. That contention is like an upset stomach which always nags at us even though we might think it's not. Eventually, that upset stomach becomes an ulcer and can lead to our demise. Grudges and hatreds are festering wounds which keep us from lives of goodness. It rules our thoughts and actions. If you've a mind to, reread the story of the Prodigal Son (Luke15: 11-32). Concentrate on not only the actions of the prodigal, but of the older son as well. Then like Al ask yourself, "Which son are you?" ( If you're interested in reading this book, it's online at: http://deseretbook.com/secret/) It certainly made me stop and think about a few contentions in my life.

Sorry about the soapbox. Stop today and smell the roses. This is a picture of just a few of the roses at our house this summer. They were late in blooming, but they're prolific!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I didn't know James Ferrell had a new book out. Eric and I both read The Peacegiver, and thought it had a really good message. I'll have to check this one out. I love that Deseret Book is offering books online for free.

Wow, the roses are gorgeous!