Tuesday, June 24, 2008

GADZOOKS!!



I just couldn't come up with a good picture for this blog. As some of you know, the bathrooms in our house are a place for a darn good "read" sometimes. My sister Julia calls these her "bathroom books"--something you can read for those few minutes. She's read some pretty hefty bathroom books. We have magazines--the Ensign, American Rifleman, AARP. We used to have the Reader's Digest because Garth's folks always bought us a subscription, but we can't remember to get one now.

Anyway, my magazine of choice the other day was AARP with the "fantastic" picture of the passionate Martin Sheen. The article is entitled Getting Real by Amy Bloom. In it she talks about three of life's lessons she's learned: 1. Forgiveness works both ways: 2. dangerous politeness (which I'll explain) and 3. undeserved good luck.

I liked the second one best. Here's what she says:

What is avoidable, as it turns out, is bull****—in myself and others. . .I just don’t want to hear bull****, and I don’t want to offer it—at least not with people I care about. I don’t want to have to pretend that bad things are not happening when they are. I don’t want to have to laugh off a loved one’s drinking or gambling or cocaine addiction, as if it were occasional, amusing, or harmless. . .
Numbers 1 and 3 are also good and she has a great bully story.

Now I like the idea of not repeating bull**** or accepting it if necessary. Therefore, I've decided not to react to the following which I just read on MSN: Obama ask donors to help Clinton with debt. Can you believe that?

Anyway, it's a great article. If you don't get the magazine, you can go online and read it from their website. Or, better yet, you can visit my bathroom and read it there.


















2 comments:

Cire said...

I saw that headline and thought about the bull . . . too! How out of touch they (politicians) are - just a couple of overgrown kids running for a student body office 'cause they wanna be cool! Ridiculous!

Joe said...

Yesterday we had a five person fight in the chow hall. Whcih doesn't happen at our little facility. I spent all day yesterday listening to one of my former supervisors give me a bunch of BS that everything was all right and this was just an anomaly. I hate BS to. I need to read this article.