Thursday, April 24, 2008

EXCITEMENT ON THE SLOPE


One day Susan and I will have to swap SWAT stories. We had our own little hostage incident tonight in camp. About eight or so, our neighbor called to ask what was going on and we didn't even know. Over a dozen police and sheriff's cars, the ambulance, and a Critical response van were parked all over our lawn and David's and the Community Hall! I couldn't take any pictures because it was too dark. I peeked out the front door and David was standing there. He told me to stay in the house. For those of you who remember, the guy was in Kendall's old house. We had a great view of the whole thing. Bless David's heart. He stayed on the loudspeaker telling the guy to come out with his hands up for hours. We don't know all of the particulars, but the guy had arrived there drunk with a gun and took a shot. I'm not sure if he shot at someone. Early on, two people came out whom they put in handcuffs and into a patrol car. The Critical Response team arrived and surrounded the house. At midnight, they began putting tear gas into the house and the guy finally came out coughing. A peaceful end to a dangerous situation. The most inspiring sight of the night came when I looked out the kitchen window and the dozen or so members of the Critical Response team were all lined in a row kneeling down with their heads bowed. It took my breath away and brought tears to my eyes. Thank goodness for the men (and women) who are sworn to protect us all. God bless them all. I thanked Heavenly Father for protecting David and keeping us safe.

Here's the blog I was working on:



Can you believe that the bones of one of the state of Washington's state fossils, the Columbia Mammoth were found right here on the Slope? What an exciting discovery! The bones were found by Irrigation District employees when they were unearthed (the bones, not the employees.) during a recent ditchbreak. They were found near a small spring near Scott Robbins' house. According to the info on the state's website, the mammoths came across the Bering Strait down through Alaska about two million years ago and became extinct about 10, 000 years ago. Elementary students from Cheney worked for four years so the state would recognize the mammoth as the state fossil. Archaeologists are going to study the area in the next few months. Pretty exciting, huh?














1 comment:

Susan said...

I'm glad everything ended peacefully! I've decided that excitement is very overrated - I'd rather have peace and quiet :)