Thursday, March 5, 2009

Reminiscing

For whatever reasons (there were several), today has been a day for tears, tributes and to-dos. I've been thinking about my brother Joe who was killed in Viet Nam 42 years ago today. This picture was taken just before he left. He was proud to be a Marine. Daddy had tried to convince him to join the Army and Uncle Jack voted for the Navy, but Joe had always wanted to be a Marine. War is hell. My heart is always with those who lose their sons, fathers or husbands to war because I can share in their sorrow.
Family worries and the anticipation of our mission call added to my musings. I've decided crying is good for the soul. Several people have reminded me that Satan always works hardest when we are ready to do an errand for the Lord and he's certainly doing his best. My sweet niece Shannon reminded me. "Grandma Gunter used to say, "I know that worrying works, because 99 percent of the things I worry about never happen!"" Finally, I got hold of myself, put on my Nano and let George Strait take away my dark thoughts. Nothing like a little country music to put things in perspective!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

This visit with my father in law made me think about Uncle Joe. He served in the Navy during Vietnam and gave us a post card of the ship he was on that Ty's grandma wrote on. I explained to the boys about Uncle Joe and we googled him. There was an awesome website that explained what had happened, but it also had a comment from someone uncle joe went to school with. It talked about his infectious smile. I don't know why but I can completely believe that about him. I love you mom!