Friday, February 20, 2009

Cookies, Crooks, and Country Jam

I don't know where the time goes! Our days are pleasant and quiet--and short! We're still waiting patiently for our call. We got a call from the mission office in Salt Lake on Monday so we know the papers are there. Maybe today.

I've included pictures of some of our activities:

Sammie persisted and helped me bake and decorate over ten dozen Valentine's cookies. We had a nice talk. Sammie's a perfectionist and her cookies were very precisely decorated. I, on the other hand, slapped on frosting and sprinkled stuff. We delivered most to various families. The next day three or four dozen were purloined by some cookie thieves to my dismay while we were at the temple.

Here are some of my personal projects which I'm trying to complete before we leave. The three single blocks which are in a pattern called Free Trade but is really just a glorified Sawtooth Star are for a local project. The red one is my own and the other two are for others in the project. The feathered star block is for our "mission" quilt. It is, by far, the most difficult piecing I've ever done. The 32 little four patches which you see are already sewn around the purple. I've made every mistake to be made and have done as much "unsewing" as I've sewed.
We went with Marissa to get her new glasses. I don't think I've seen her wear them since.
This is the beginnings of an old time country jam session of the Washington Old Time Fiddlers group. If you look closely you can see Joe playing the guitar. His father-in-law is also playing the guitar. This was lots of fun. Old time fiddlers don't use acoustics, high tech gadgets just plain ole strummin' and pickin'. Joe played the guitar and the fiddle while we were there. And, finally, another little guitar player. As Joe says, she's the darling of the group and monopolizes a short microphone at just her height. Sorry that the picture is just a little bit blurry.


No comments: